With the winter months upon us, it's especially important to be on the lookout for gas leaks. Heaters which may not have been used recently, lines which may have been damaged in storms... they can all be the source of gas leaks.
I wanted to offer you these tips, shared by Pacific Gas & Electric in California. Did you know that an underground utility is damaged in America every eight minutes? Gas lines are among the most frequently damaged utilities.
Here’s how you can spot a natural gas leak:
1. Smell: Natural gas supply is mixed with a sulfuric "rotten egg" smell. This way, even small amounts of gas may be detected.
2. Sound: Hissing, whistling, or "roaring" coming from underground or a gas appliance may be an indication of a gas leak.
3. Sight: Though gas is invisible, its effects are not. Spraying dirt, constantly bubbling water in ponds and creeks, and vegetation which always dies in a certain spot may be an indication of escaping gas.
Here’s what to do in the event of a gas leak:
1. Alert others and move upwind from the location of the suspected leak.
2. Do not use anything that could be a source of ignition, such as vehicles, cell phones, matches, electric switches, doorbells, and garage door openers.
3. Call 911 to notify authorities, including the police and fire department.
If you’re planning any digging in an area where gas lines might be present, be sure to contact your utility company before you begin digging. Most companies have free services which will help you identify the location of gas lines and advise you on how to dig with those lines in mind.
Be a safe neighbor and share these tips!
Maybe you’re looking for a home with great natural gas features like an outdoor fireplace or kitchen? I would love to help you find that home today: Visit Us Online: http://www.RealtyDayton.com
Author:David Cooper Phone: 937-760-9466 Dated: December 29th 2015 Views: 1,874 About David: ...
View our latest blog posts in your RSS reader. Click here to access.
Do you know of anyone who is moving to the greater Dayton, OH area? Le
"Bella was nothing less than an amazing realtor to work with. She fully understands the wants, needs, and desires of a client. Bella was, and continues to be, a very effective communicator and incredibly responsive to questions and queries. As a first-time home-buyer, Bella made the experience painless and seamless. Once we set-out the routine that worked for us (house visits, best mode of communication, etc.), the experience was personal and enjoyable. Even weeks after closing on the house, Bella was still checking to make sure everything was going smoothly.
My entire house-hunting experience was 2-3 months, but that was only a function of finding the right house. Even though house-hunting took longer than average, Bella was incredibly patient and supportive throughout. I have and will continue to recommend Bella to friends and colleagues without hesitation--will definitely work with Bella for future realty endeavors.